TN visas are available to Canadian or Mexican citizens who are offered employment in the United States in one of the 60 professions listed under the United States – Mexico – Canada Agreement (USMCA), formerly known as NAFTA.
Under the USMCA, citizens of Mexico can obtain a TN visa to temporary live and work in the United States.
Mexican citizens who are seeking to enter the United States to engage in business activities as a professional for an employer can obtain a TN visa by applying to either the U.S. consulate in Mexico or directly at the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), if the person is already in the United States in another valid status.
Mexican TN visa holders can apply for TD visa for their spouse and children under the age of 21 to accompany them in the U.S. However, the spouse and children cannot work in the US but they can study.
The TN visa reciprocity agreement with Mexico allows applicants to request a TN Visa for Mexico for 48 months (4 years) or 12 months (1 year) by paying a visa reciprocity fee of $382 or $104, respectively. This option is also available to family members of Mexican TN visa.
TN Visa Mexico Requirements
Mexican citizens who want to obtain a TN visa to engage in professional activities in the United States must meet the requirements for TN visa for Mexico. The TN visa requirements for Mexico are:
- You are a citizen of Mexico
- You are a member of one of the NAFTA professions
- The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional
- You meet the educational requirements and experience for the NAFTA profession
- You have a prearranged full-time or part-time position with a US employer (self-employment is not permitted)
TN Visa Process Mexico
Mexican citizens who are applying for a TN visa and are outside of the United States must appear at a US consulate for interview to obtain the TN visa stamp.
When applying for TN visa, citizens of Mexico need to submit a TN visa application with the US Consulate in Mexico, attend an interview and obtain a physical TN visa in their passport prior to travelling to the United States. If the consular officer approves the TN visa will inform you how to get your passport with the visa stamp.
To apply for a TN visa for Mexico at the US Consulate you must have:
- Valid Mexican passport. Your Mexican passport must be valid for at least 6 months.
- Contract or letter of employment in the United States. The letter must include detailed information about the US company, position and the educational qualification and experience of the Mexican TN visa applicant.
- Evidence of degree and/or work experience. Proof that you are qualified for the position and you meet the minimum education and/or work experience for the NAFTA profession for which you are hired including college diploma, degrees, professional licenses and certificates, memberships in professional associations. In order to show that you meet the minimum work experience required, you must provide letters from past employer or if you were self-employed, you must provide records of your business.
- DS-160 Confirmation Page. Complete and file online Form DS-160, print the DS-160 confirmation page and barcode and bring it to the consular interview.
- TN Visa interview appointment. Schedule a visa interview appointment for your TN visa at your nearest US Consulate and pay the visa issuance fee. Bring the payment receipt to the visa interview.
Mexican citizens who are lawfully in the United States in a TN visa status or other valid status can apply for change of status to TN or file a new TN petition with USCIS without leaving the United States or appearing for an interview at a U.S. Consulate abroad.
In the case of a change of status to TN visa or a new TN petition filed at USCIS for Mexican citizens, the US employer must submit the required documents together with form I-129 to USCIS. The TN applicant cannot commence employment until the TN has been approved at USCIS.
Mexican citizens applying for TN visa at USCIS can pay an additional fee to have the TN application adjudicated in 15 calendar days.
How long are Mexican TN Visa Valid
TN visa for Mexican citizens can be valid for 48 months or 12 months depending on the applicant’s choice.
Malescu Law can assist
Our TN visa lawyers in Miami, Florida USA can assist with TN Visa Mexico and advise you on the requirements for Mexican citizens, the TN visa application, support letters and any other steps necessary in obtaining the TN visa. Contact us now or book a consultation!
Malescu Law P.A. – Business & Immigration Lawyers